Inventors of the Clamp Meter, Continuing Innovation
Amprobe was founded in Long Island, New York in 1948 as the Pyramid Instrument Company. Less than two years later, the company was awarded its first patent for the Clamp-on Inductive Ammeter. They became so well known for these meters, the company name was formally changed to Amprobe Instrument Corporation in 1960.
Over the last sixty years, Amprobe has become an industry leader in the supply of quality electrical test tools for industrial, commercial and residential applications. Currently, over five hundred products are offered worldwide. As the inventor of the first clamp meter and wire tracer, Amprobe continues to be first to market with innovative technology at competitive prices in a wide variety of categories. Today, their product line includes an extensive line of clamp meters and digital multimeters, to industry-specific tools that address the needs of professionals in HVAC/R, power quality, water quality and solar energy.
Amprobe was acquired by the Danaher Corporation in 2006. Danaher is a global conglomerate founded in 1969. The company is headquartered in Washington D.C. and today employs about 63,000 people. Danaher had a net income of $2.4 billion in 2012 and also achieved sales of $18.3 billion in the same year. Danaher operates on a never-ending cycle of change and improvement which reinforces the company's industry leadership and results in superior all-around performance.
The Danaher Corporation’s business is broken up into five different segments:
- Test & Measurement: This is the second largest business segment but it is the one Tequipment specializes in. Danaher-owned companies produce some of the best electronic test and measurement instruments in the world for communications and enterprise networks.
- Environmental: Danaher provides products that help protect our water supply and air quality, and aid global petroleum enterprises. These products include water quality analyzers, water disinfection systems, fuel dispensing systems, and remote fuel management systems, all manufactured to ensure environmental compliance.
- Dental: Danaher also provides a broad range of equipment, consumables, and services for dental professionals worldwide.
- Life Sciences & Diagnostics: This is Danaher’s largest business segment. Its products include research and clinical tools for scientists studying complex biological matters, as well as analytical instruments, software and reagents primarily for hospitals.
- Industrial Technologies: Danaher designs and manufactures components and systems that are made to be incorporated into other products by manufacturers. These products are sold to manufacturers for a diverse set of applications.