Bringing the Next Generation of Innovation Closer
Tektronix is an American world-leading manufacturer of test and measurement devices such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and video and mobile test protocol equipment. The company was founded in 1946 in Oregon and in the 65 years since then has been granted almost 700 patents.
Since its beginnings Tektronix has been known for its oscilloscopes. In fact, the company’s founders invented the first ever time base triggered oscilloscope in 1946. In the years following that breakthrough, Tektronix built upon its success with continued design and innovation; in 1964 Tektronix began selling the world's first mass produced analog storage oscilloscope. In addition, Tektronix is responsible for the idea of a plug-in oscilloscope and the manufacture of the first practical portable oscilloscope. Tektronix’s products today reflect this innovative approach which is why many refer to the company as the “Cadillac of oscilloscopes.” In reality, they are the world leader in oscilloscopes today.
Anytime you interact with technology by viewing web sites, clicking with a mouse, or making a cell phone call, you interact with Tektronix products. Tektronix’s customers work in communications, computer, semiconductor, military/aerospace, consumer electronics, education, broadcast and other fields all over the globe. The reputations and successes of its customers depend on the passion of Tektronix employees for solving the most complex measurement problems. Tektronix ensures accurate performance, reliability, and compatibility for all its products.
Tektronix was acquired by Danaher Corporation in November 2007. The Danaher Corporation is a global conglomerate founded in 1969. The company is headquartered in Washington D.C. and today employs about 63,000 people. Danaher had a net income of $2.4 billion in 2012 and also achieved sales of $18.3 billion in the same year. Danaher operates on a never-ending cycle of change and improvement which reinforces the company's industry leadership and results in superior all-around performance.
The Danaher Corporation's business is broken up into five different segments:
Current Statistics (Tektronix):
- Test & Measurement: This is the second largest business segment but it is the one Tequipment specializes in. Danaher-owned companies produce some of the best electronic test and measurement instruments in the world for communications and enterprise networks.
- Environmental: Danaher provides products that help protect our water supply and air quality, and aid global petroleum enterprises. These products include water quality analyzers, water disinfection systems, fuel dispensing systems, and remote fuel management systems, all manufactured to ensure environmental compliance.
- Dental: Danaher also provides a broad range of equipment, consumables, and services for dental professionals worldwide.
- Life Sciences & Diagnostics: This is Danaher’s largest business segment. Its products include research and clinical tools for scientists studying complex biological matters, as well as analytical instruments, software and reagents primarily for hospitals.
- Industrial Technologies: Danaher designs and manufactures components and systems that are made to be incorporated into other products by manufacturers. These products are sold to manufacturers for a diverse set of applications.
- Revenue (2006): $1.4 billion
- Net income (2006): $92.4 million