Accuracy and diagnostic functions for maximum industrial productivity.
Fluke 80 Series V has replaced series 80 Series III.
The new Fluke 87V has improved measurement functions, trouble-shooting features, resolution and accuracy to solve more problems on motor drives, in plant automation, power distribution and electro-mechanical equipment.
The New 80 Series consists of the following models:
- Fluke 83V Industrial DMM
- Fluke 87V True RMS Industrial DMM
- Fluke 87-5E/2 Industrial Electricians Combo Kit (Replaces 87 V/E)
The 87V operates very similar to the classic 87, but with more problem solving power, safety, convenience and impact protection.
The new 80 series V are independently tested to comply with the 2nd edition of ANSI/ISA S82.01 and EN61010-1 CAT IV 600V/CAT III 1000V. They can withstand impulses in excess of 8,000 V and reduce risks related to surges and spikes.
New features for maximum productivity.
- Unique function for accurate voltage and frequency measurements on adjustable speed motor drives and other electrically noisy equipment (87V)
- Built-in thermometer conveniently allows you to take temperature readings without having to carry a separate instrument (87V)
- Optional magnetic hanger for easy set-up and viewing while freeing your hands for other tasks
- Large digit display with bright, two-level backlight makes the 80 Series V significantly easier to read than older models
All inputs are protected to Category III, 1000 V and Category IV 600 V. They can withstand impulses in excess of 8,000 V and reduce risks related to surges and spikes.
Correctly measure pulse-width modulated motor drive signals.
- The new Fluke 87V is designed specifically to handle complex signals produced by adjustable speed motor drives. Think of the potential productivity you'll gain by taking the guesswork out of drive system troubleshooting. Measurements are correct each and every time. Unique function for accurate measurements of noisy pulse-width modulated AC voltage. Measures correctly at the ASD and at the motor terminals
- Accurately measure the frequency (motor speed). Frequency measurement not affected by the ASDs carrier frequency
- Measure AC current with an optional current clamp accessory
- Compare readings from the 87V with the display on the ASD
- Special shielding blocks high frequency, high-energy noise generated by large drive systems
|Complex PWM drive signals are not a problem for the Fluke 87V
||Pulse-width modulated detail of 50 Hz motor drive output voltage. 1000 V, 50 micro-second pulses can cause erratic behavior in some test equipment
This meter reading of the output voltage is with the low pass filter enabled. The reading compares well with the drive's display value.
This meter reading without the low pass filter enabled is approximately 30% higher than the actual drive output voltage. This reading utilizes the meters full 20 kHz bandwidth. Many other multimeters available today will not provide readings which compare to the drives display value.
See how the new 87V compares to the original Fluke 87:
|Selectable filter for motor drives
||Accurate voltage and frequency measurements on pulse width modulated signals
|Built in thermometer
||No need to carry a separate thermometer
||5 nf to 5 μF
||5 nf to 10,000 μF
||Measure more capacitors
|VDC accuracy and resolution
||0.1 %, 10 μV
||0.05 %, 10 μV
||Precise measurements in a hand held package
||13.5 X 7 mm
||15.25 X 8.5 mm
||30 % larger makes it easy to read
||2-level, bright white
||Easier to read in dark locations
||Position meter for easy viewing
||Record intermittent problems 4 times faster
|CAT electrical safety rating
||Yes, 2nd edition ANSI and IEC
||Increased protection from 8kV spikes that can cause arc flash
||Change battery quickly without breaking cal seal
||Lower cost of ownership
- Unique function for accurate voltage and frequency measurements on adjustable speed motor drives and other electrically noisy equipment (87-5, 87-5/E Kit)
- True-rms ac voltage and current for accurate measurements on non linear signals (87-5, 87-5/E Kit)
- Built in thermometer conveniently allows you to take temperature readings without having to carry a separate instrument (87-5, 87-5/E Kit)
- Measure up to 1000 V AC and DC
- Measure up to 10 A (20 A for 30 seconds)
- 10,000 µF capacitance range
- Frequency to 200 kHz and % duty cycle
- Peak capture to record transients as fast as 250 µs (87-5, 87-5/E Kit)
- 4½ digit mode (87-5, 87-5/E Kit)
Q: Does the Fluke 87-5 measure both AC and DC voltage and current?
A: Yes. The 87-5 will measure AC/DC voltage up to 1000V, and current up to 10A.
Q: What other tests can I perform with the Fluke 87-5?
A: You can test for continuity, resistance, capacitance and frequency. It will also measure temperature, conductance and even has a diode function.
Q: I want the Fluke 87-V, but this says 87-5. What is the difference?
A: There is no difference between the 87-V and the 87-5. They are the same product, only with one having a Roman numeral.
Q: Is there a way I can hang the 87-5, so I have both hands free to hold the test leads?
A: Yes. The Fluke TPAK is a magnetic device which can be attached to any ferrous metal, or turned into a loop so you can hang it on a nail, hook, or any other object.
Q: The 87-5 says it is a True RMS meter. What does that mean? Do I need that?
A: RMS stands for Root Mean Square. While an ideal AC signal is a true sine wave, many situations will present deformed, imperfect waveforms. When measuring these with a meter which is not True RMS, the user can often be provided with inaccurate readings. However, the Fluke 87-5 is a True RMS device. Through a series of complex mathematical algorithms, it is able to display accurate readings, making the 87-5 much more dependable than many other products on the market.
Q: Does the 87-5 come standard with the yellow boot that is shown in the picture?
A: Yes the yellow boot is a standard accessory that will come installed on the meter.