Bacharach’s all new PCA3 is the definitive combustion and emissions analyzer that enables fast and accurate measurement for on-demand or semi-continuous sampling of light industrial, institutional, commercial and residential furnaces, boilers and appliances.
It is the industry’s first advanced portable combustion analyzer with a full color graphic display for superior visibility and user-friendly interface. Superbright backlighting, zoom display feature and dimming mode function provide users with best-in-class instrumentation.
Powerful and Easy to Use!
The Bacharach PCA3 is the perfect tool for service technicians and boiler contractors who need to ensure safe operating conditions, determine combustion efficiency and perform emissions testing. This lightweight handheld combustion and emissions analyzer directly measures and displays Flue Gas Oxygen (O2), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Stack Temperature, Draft, Differential Pressure, Combustion Air Temperature and optionally measures and displays Nitric Oxide (NO), Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) and Sulfur Dioxide (SO2). The PCA3 simultaneously calculates and displays Combustion Efficiency (EFF), Excess Air (EA), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), NOx and Oxygen reference values. Plus, the PCA3 performs combustion calculations for ten different fuels and uses up to six field-upgradable electrochemical sensors. With its large, bright full-color graphic display reading combustion and emissions test results in any work environment has never been easier!
Back to Top
Features and Benefits.
- Full color (320 x 240 pixel) graphic display. Provides superior visibility of readings and userfriendly menu system even in low light conditions. Graphic “buttons” are easy to see and clearly depict menu options.
- Zoom-display feature. Combustion test data in the Run/Hold screen can be shown with enlarged characters to make viewing easier. Users can set zoom levels from Standard viewing to 2X or 3X size with easy setup.
- Dimming mode function. Auto-dimming of the backlit display conserves battery life and can almost double the run time. When the pump is not running, or it is not in Run Mode for 5 minutes, the display will dim by 50%, then after another 5 minutes to 30%, and finally after another 5-minutes it will dim to 7%.
- Unique B-Smart pre-calibrated sensor options. Easy field-replaceable B-Smart sensors eliminate downtime and saves time and money. Contractors can purchase the sensors or sign up for Bacharach’s B-Smart Sensor Exchange Program which provides users with pre-calibrated sensors delivered to the contractor every 9 months for a 3-year period.
- 10 pre-programmed fuels plus the ability to load custom fuels. Easy menu selection to switch from one fuel to another depending on the fuel type. Custom fuels are easily added to the instrument using the Fyrite User software and are retained in memory for future selection from the fuel type menu.
- Automatic CO over-range protection on CO (low) sensor. Automatic sensor protection preserves the life and integrity of the CO (Carbon Monoxide) sensor when it is exposed to >4,000 ppm. If a CO (high) sensor is installed then it switches to that sensor for reading while flushing the CO (low) sensor for uninterrupted readings.
- Powered by 4 “AA” alkaline batteries (included) or “AA” NiMH rechargeable batteries. Convenience – “AA” batteries are available everywhere. (Note: If NiMH batteries are installed, the instrument cannot be used to recharge the batteries.)
- Alternate universal AC power adapter (110 – 240 VAC) is available. An optional AC power adapter is available for purchase for continuous operation in one location. Over-voltage protection is built into the circuitry to help prevent damage from unapproved power supplies.
- Sturdy metal gas and draft connectors. Added strength for durability in the field
- Choose from up to 6 electrochemical sensors – add them now or add them later. The ultimate flexibility of sensor configurations, either ordered from the factory or upgrade the PCA3 in the field with plug and play precalibrated sensor modules.
- Personalized company logo upload. Contractors can upload their company logo for custom printouts and report-generation.
- Store, recall and print up to 1000 complete test records. Stores up to 500 complete records (all readings and calculations) in memory and 500 in logged memory for easy recall and downloading to Excel. Can tag up to 3 lines of user info and add company logo for professional reports.
- Tag customer information to a specific record through easy PC interface. Reports and service details tie customer information to a specific test for record-keeping and future service reminders.
- Multilingual display. User-selection of multiple language options for menus and on-screen calculations.
- User-selectable calibration reminders. Easy-to-set “calibration due” reminders for peace of mind. Intervals can be set to never, 6, 8, 10, 12 or 15 months for preferred schedule.
- Color-bar battery life indicator. Always-visible battery life icon with step-down color bar indicator. Full battery indicated by three green bars, used battery indicated by partial bars and flashing empty red icon accompanied by warning beeps every 3 sec. for low battery warning.
- On-board diagnostics and information review. Easily view O2 sensor life, instrument and pump hours to keep you “in the know.”
Back to Top
Frequently Asked Questions.
- How is the new PCA3 Portable Combustion Analyzer different than the PCA2?
While the PCA3 is based on the same technology and platform of the PCA2, the improvements are striking. To highlight a few of the new features:
- Full-color graphic display with bright backlighting for superior visibility
- B-Smart Sensors with the option of B-Smart Sensor Exchange Program
- Dimming mode saves battery life (nearly doubles the life of AA batteries)
- Sturdy metal gas and draft connectors add durability in the field
- Company upload capability & ability to tag customer data to records
- Internal battery back-up saves data for 5-7 years even if AA batteries die
- Improved IrDA transmission to wireless printer
- Can custom fuels be developed for the PCA3?
Yes. In order to develop a custom fuel type, Bacharach will need to obtain information from the customer to determine the full analysis parameters. A Custom Fuel form is completed by the customer and provided to Bacharach. In return, the custom fuel programming is ordered and provided via email or file download for upload to the PCA3.
- Is it possible to download data from the PCA3 without interrupting datalogging that is in process?
Yes. Data can be downloaded using the Fyrite User Software while logging is in process.
- What file type and size limit is required to upload a custom logo in the PCA3?
The logo needs to be in a bitmap file type (.bmp) 384 x 192 pixels maximum.
- Does the PCA3 make calculations on a wet or dry basis?
The PCA3 makes calculations on a dry basis. An instrument is said to make calculations on a dry basis when it eliminates water vapor from the measurement process and therefore from the calculation.
- Why is it important to use the sample conditioner (P/N 0024-7224) when measuring nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and sulfur dioxide (SO2)?
NO2 and SO2 are soluble in water and can be removed from the combustion sample as it is exposed to condensate in the sample line. The sample conditioner removes water vapor from the combustion sample and provides a dry sample to the analyzer that can then be used to make accurate measurements of NO2 and SO2.
- Does the PCA3 Oxygen (O2) sensor require calibration?
No. The O2 sensor is calibrated every time the instrument is turned on as long as the instrument is in fresh air (where oxygen = 20.9%).
- How often should the sensors be calibrated in the PCA3?
The recommended calibration period is every 6 to 12 months. With this in mind, the B-Smart Sensor Exchange Program is designed to deliver a pre-calibrated sensor or sensors to the customer’s door every 9 months for a period of 3 years.
Back to Top